BEFORE YOU BEGIN
The Kraken firmware updater is a standalone tool designed to upgrade NZXT Kraken X Series Gen 3 all-in-one liquid coolers only. While we have made every effort to ensure the updater will not work with any other product, please use caution and confirm that your Kraken is one of the following models:
Kraken X42 – RL-KRX42-01 and RL-KRX42-02
Kraken X52 – RL-KRX52-01 and RL-KRX52-02
Kraken X62 – RL-KRX62-01 and RL-KRX62-02
Kraken X72 – RL-KRX72-01 and RL-KRX72-02
NZXT is not responsible for the misuse of the updater with any other AIO cooler, including Kraken Gen 1 and Kraken Gen 2 models. It is your responsibility to ensure you have a Gen 3 Kraken X Series cooler before proceeding.
STEP 1: DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE UPDATER
- Download the Kraken Updater as directed in the email you received from Customer Service
- Navigate to your Downloads folder (or wherever you specified the file be saved). Double-click on KrakenXFWUpdate.zip and extract the files. For convenience, we recommend you save the files to your desktop.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR KRAKEN G10 & KRAKEN G12 Owners
(or anyone running two Krakens in one system)
If you are using multiple Kraken AIOs, the Kraken firmware updater can only update one Kraken at a time. Leaving both connected to USB may cause unpredictable (and possibly catastrophic) results. Please follow these steps to ensure you are successful in updating both of your Krakens
- Turn off your PC.
- Disconnect one of the Krakens from USB by unplugging ONLY the USB connector from either the pump head or the USB connector on your motherboard. Be sure to leave the SATA power/fan cable and CPU_fan cable connected so the Kraken will continue to cool your CPU or GPU.
- Restart your system.
- Follow the directions below for updating the Kraken firmware. Once complete, turn off your PC.
- Disconnect the Kraken you just updated from USB and reconnect the second Kraken.
- Upgrade the firmware. Once complete, turn off your PC.
- Reconnect the second Kraken and restart your PC.
STEP 2: PREPARE TO UPDATE YOUR KRAKEN
- Whenever you’re updating any hardware device, it is always a good idea to close any open Windows applications before proceeding. Updating firmware correctly requires uninterrupted access to the hardware and while we worked hard to make the Kraken Firmware Updater as robust as possible, there’s no reason to take a chance on “bricking” your Kraken.
- Navigate to the folder where you extracted the files earlier
- Double click on Kraken_reprogrammer.exe to run the updater. You may be prompted to allow User Account Control (UAC), if so, please click Yes to continue.
- If Windows Defender displays a warning (see the image below), click ‘More info’ and ‘Run anyway’ to continue.
- The updater will begin the process to update your Kraken.
- Once the process is complete, you may press Enter to close out of the program. Restart your system.
- You can verify that your Kraken was successfully updated by opening CAM and going to the ‘Drivers’ tab.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT FIRMWARE VERSION NUMBERS
In 2018, a change was made to the internal design of the Gen 3 Kraken X Series family. This change had no impact on the performance or features; however, it did require us to “fork” a portion of the firmware between the two hardware revisions.
As a result, there are two possible versions of the Kraken firmware. These are currently numbered 5.xx or 6.xx, depending on the internal architecture of your Kraken. The updater is able to identify the correct firmware image to use and updates your Kraken accordingly.
There are no performance or feature differences between the hardware or firmware versions.